Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Guest Post by Author Ryan Hunter

Today, I have a special treat for everyone. I have my first ever guest post and book review here on my blog!

I am so pleased to have author Ryan Hunter do this very first guest post for me. Ryan Hunter is a wife and mother to five children. She's a blogger, baker, and an avid runner (which I seriously admire...running's one of those things I've always felt I should enjoy but never have). She is also the author of two YA novels. Premeditated is a suspense novel, which is downloaded to my kindle. I can't wait to start reading it! inDIVISIBLE is a dystopian novel that is being hailed as a modern-day 1984.  

I love dystopian novels and was excited to dive into inDIVISIBLE. The book follows Brynn, who lives in a country called One United, where the government controls almost everything in the citizens' lives. Brynn ends up running for her life as she desperately searches for freedom.

The book took quite a few surprising twists and turns, and I really enjoyed it. I loved delving into the world of One United. The characters were extremely likable, and the premise chilling. inDIVISIBLE was very thought provoking and brought a lot of questions to mind. It was a heart-wrenching tale of how as people we can slowly give up our personal freedoms in the name of safety, sometimes without even realizing it.

What surprised me most about this book was the ending. It was unexpected--definitely not the ending I wanted as a reader--and yet very satisfying at the same time. I closed the book feeling melancholy, and yet I knew the ending was perfect somehome. If you love dystopian worlds, definitely give inDIVISIBLE a try. You can buy the book here in paperback, or if you like your ereaders (like me), you can buy it for kindle. I can't wait until the sequel comes out this year!



Seriously, go buy inDIVISIBLE and read it right now.

And now, without further ado, here's Ryan!

Books that Influenced a Love of Reading
by Ryan Hunter

With millions of books on the shelves, it’s difficult to find the few that truly hit home, that make a reader feel a sense of satisfaction upon completion. Each author is inspired by certain books throughout their life: books that make them want to write a story, books that leave them dreaming, books that give them nightmares, and books that simply inspire additional reading. Though I’ve read more influential books than I can list here, here are five that come immediately to mind.

1. “Mrs. Mike” by Benedict Freedman and Nancy Mars – I read this in high school, about four times. It captured so much emotion, passing it on to the reader while prompting a visual display unlike any book I’d read to that point. I got so caught up in the story, in the heartbreak and hope of the main character, that even though I have not read this book in more than fifteen years, I still feel the emotion of the story when I think about it.

2. “These is My Words” by Nancy Turner – I read this when all my children were tiny and felt the pain and hopes of the main character vividly. I read this ten years ago after a recommendation from a friend and still own a copy. It’s written as a journal, but unlike some journal-style books, this flows and is immediately engaging.

3. Number three is actually a compilation of several books, books I discovered when my children were tiny and we were seeking books that all of them could enjoy as their ages varied by a good ten years. As I saw my children’s eyes light up when we read these, I knew they were also being instilled with a love of reading (and humor), so these are great inspirations to me as well. “Goodnight Moon” by Margaret Wise Brown, “I love you Stinky Face” by Lisa McCourt and Kristen Krohn, “I Like Myself” by Karen Beaumont and David Catrow, and “The Last Basselope” by Berkeley Breathed (because it made everyone giggle).

4. “I am Not a Serial Killer” by Dan Wells (and the following two novels in the series) because it brought humor back to reading. I think this was the first book I actually laughed out loud while reading. Disturbing and yet intriguing, this is one of my favorite series of books of all time.

5. “Nightingale” by David Farland – a truly exceptional YA novel that encompasses intrigue, hope, adventure and suspense. I cared about the MC from the very beginning, hoping for his safety and happiness. As the book progresses, so many details unfold that this book is truly a masterpiece for adults and teens to enjoy.

Thanks so much, Ryan! I've actually never read quite a few of those books you mentioned, and I'm excited to add them to my "to read" list.

To purchase Ryan's novels, visit her Amazon author page here. You can also visit Ryan's website, http://propertyofoneunited.com, or her blog, http://authorryanhunter.blogspot.com. "Like" her facebook page here...it's what all the cool kids are doing. If you tweet (come on, you know you do), follower her on twitter @ryanhunter45.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Ryan Hunter - Writer said...

Thank you, Lindzee, for being a part of my blog tour and for the awesome review!

Renae W. Mackley said...

Nice review and a nice list of books to read. Thanks.
There's a contest on my blog. Come on over.

Lindzee said...

It was a pleasure, Ryan!