Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Book Review: The Dream Keeper by Mikey Brooks

Back Cover Blurb
Loser—the most frightening word to ever be uttered in middle school. Even the coolest kids are afraid of being associated with it. 14-year-old Parker Bennett is no exception. He can’t even be himself around his friends for fear they might not accept who he really is. When circumstances force him to team up with Kaelyn Clarke, the biggest loser in the ninth grade, Parker has to decide what is more important; protecting his social status or saving the world. Nightmare named Fyren has taken over the gateway to the realm of Dreams, with the intention of controlling mortals, and it falls on Parker, Kaelyn, and Gladamyr – the Dream Keeper – to stop him. They learn being called a loser is no longer a fear, when compared to the terror of real nightmares.

My Review
4 out of 5 stars
I have been collecting books for a while now that I can read with the twins as they get older. The Dream Keeper is definitely going in the collection. This is an adorable middle-grade novel that has a little bit of everything--adventure, fantastic worlds, a hero's quest, and romance. Although the book is written for a young audience, it's definitely something adults will enjoy as well. I know I did!

I loved how clean the book was--definitely something I would feel comfortable with a young kid reading. I also loved the obvious lessons and themes the book taught. The main characters learn how to love and accept themselves and how to be brave. I love it when a book can not only entertain but teach a lesson.

The main characters were people I'd love to become friends with. The climax had me on the edge of my seat, and the ending was an unexpected--and exciting--cliffhanger. I can't wait for book two!

If you are looking for a way to stave off summer boredom in your children, hand them a copy of The Dream Keeper. You'll have just bought yourself hours of peace and quiet. Better yet, read it together!

Buy The Dream Keeper on Amazon!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Natalie Aguirre said...

This sounds interesting. I love the cover. Thanks for the review.