Monday, July 15, 2013

Book Review: Fire Girl by Taryn A. Taylor

First of all, I just have to say I love Taryn. We were in a critique group together a few years back, and we've been beta readers for each other. I had the privilege of reading Fire Girl as a beta reader. I've always been a fan of Taryn's writing, and she's an awesome person too!

Book Description
Everyone has secrets. Maddie wants to take hers and run.

After getting court ordered to live with her grandparents in Sugar Valley, seventeen-year-old, Maddie Haven doesn't expect to tick off the hot student body president, have a faceoff with a horrendously grumpy girl in a wheel chair, and get blamed for a school fire—all on the first day of school. Good thing she plans to leave. And don't even ask why Maddie volunteers to help out after her grandpa has a heart attack. Staying in Sugar Valley is not possible!

After an unexpected friendship leads Maddie on a journey to remember the faith she thought no longer existed, the only thing she knows for sure is the truth never comes easy. And helping someone else just might change her in ways she never thought possible. 

When the people that share her secret threaten the people she loves, Maddie is left with a choice: run away or let it all go up in smoke.


My Review
5 of 5 stars
I read Fire Girl while it was still going through the editing process as a beta reader. I loved it! I was pulled in from the beginning and it held my interest until the very last page.

Fire Girl has a rich cast of characters that I really fell in love with. They felt like dear friends by the last page, and I was sad to see them go when I finished reading.

The author perfectly captured that small-town feel in the setting. I was immersed in the story. I was on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what would happen next.

Fire Girl is LDS fiction at its very best. The main character goes on a journey of faith that feels real and not at all preachy. The author handled the religious aspects of the book incredibly well. It was a book about a character with a struggle of faith, not a book about a struggle of faith that just happened to have characters. This really was Maddie's story, and I felt like I was beside her through every step of her journey.

This book will appeal to everyone from tweens to adults! It's one of those books I will return to over and over again through the years.


Fire Girl was released in two parts, so make sure you read both to get the full story!

Buy Links
Part 1 * Part 2
Photobucket

No comments: