Saturday, August 31, 2013

Book Review: I, Spy by Jordan McCollum

Back Cover Blurb
Canada is probably the last place you’d expect to find an American spy. But even idyllic Ottawa has its deadly secrets—and so does CIA operative Talia Reynolds. She can climb through ventilation shafts, blend in at the occasional diplomatic function, even scale buildings (small ones). But there’s one thing she can’t do: tell her aerospace engineer boyfriend Danny about her Top Secret occupation.

It worked for a year, keeping Danny in the dark, keeping him away from danger, keeping her secrets. And then Talia finally catches a hot case: Fyodor Timofeyev. Russian. Aerospace executive. Possible spy?

She can make this work, too—until Danny needs her at the same time her country does. And when Fyodor targets Danny? Suddenly her schedule isn’t the only thing suffering. Now to save her secrets and her country, Talia must sacrifice the man she loves.


My Review
4.5 of 5 stars
I loved this book. The main character, Talia, has a wit and slight cynicism that makes her a delight as a narrator. I'm a huge fan of first person, and this book had first person narrative at its best. 

I really enjoyed the "spy lingo" used throughout the novel. It immersed me in the story. I really liked the unique setting of Canada. How many spy books are set in Ottawa? So fun! The pacing was fast and I liked how the various subplots all connected at the end. 

I wish we had gotten to see more of Danny and Talia's relationship in the beginning. It took me awhile to feel like I "knew" Danny, and because of that it took me longer than I would have liked to root for their relationship. Once I hit the halfway point, I was totally Team Danny, but in the beginning I wasn't sure why Talia loved him. It also drove me nuts how long it took Talia to relay her secret at the end. I kept screaming at my kindle, "Just tell him already!" 

I, Spy was a perfect blend of romance, spies, work problems, and bad guys. The author's narrative style had me laughing out loud. There are some seriously awesome one-liners in this book. This book is an intense spy thriller with heavy romantic elements. I definitely want to read the novella Mr. Nice Spy, and I can't wait for the sequel to be released!
Photobucket

No comments: