Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Book Review: Only Half Alive by Konstanz Silverbow

Back Cover Blurb
genre: YA paranormal romance
The world's darkest creature will be their brightest hope! 

While darkness haunts her, she craves the light. Christina is a demon, but she doesn't want to be. She is willing to sacrifice everything to change it. Only one person stands in her way, and he will stop at nothing to keep her the way she is.

The greatest battle of light vs dark threatens every living creature, a battle that could destroy all. And the demon in love will only have one chance to save everyone.


My Review
3 of 5 stars
The concept of Only Half Alive really intrigued me from the beginning. I was immediately interested in the storyline, and felt myself drawn in by Christina and her obviously troubled life. My interest grew as Finn entered the picture, and then Riley. 

However, the book lacked some conflict...I think there were definitely missed opportunities that I really wish the author had explored. I also found a lot of the story line to be a little juvenile and unrealistic. This was obviously written for a YA audience. While I enjoyed the love story, it was too easy--there was nothing to keep them apart, and no conflict in their relationship. The opportunities for conflict were glossed over. I also felt their reason for loving each other--because they were destined to--was a little hard to swallow. When we finally got to the climax of the story, I felt it was rushed and things were resolved both too quickly and too easily. I also found Christina as a narrator to be distant. I had a hard time really getting in her head and feeling what she felt--it felt as though she was keeping the reader at arms' length. 

That being said, this was a fun read and I enjoyed myself. The author obviously has a vivid imagination, with a talent for writing, and I look forward to reading more from her in the future. 
Photobucket

No comments: